Monday, September 19, 2011

How long do I run a car engine to charge the battery "make up" for the car starting?

That is, if I want to leave the battery in approximately the same charged state as before starting the car, roughly how long do I have to run the engine to make up for the draw on the battery to start it? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30?How long do I run a car engine to charge the battery %26quot;make up%26quot; for the car starting?That's in interesting question, to be specific (engineer specific) I'd have to know the type of vehicle. From an average standpoint it takes anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes. This is considering that the battery is in good condition as is the rest of the charging system (alternator, ground connections, etc) and that the vehicle hasn't been sitting for days.



A new battery or a battery working at a 100% efficacy rate is going to recharge at an incredibly fast rate. If the battery holds a 98% charge when you start the car it may %26quot;drop%26quot; to 97.1% or so briefly. If the battery holds a 70% charge capacity it will drop a much higher rate...i.e to 50% or lower. Once you dip below the 85% charging capacity rate you lose the charge must faster and it takes much less load to drain stored energy from the battery.



It's an interesting question for sure, I'm wondering myself why you're asking!



Hope this helps!How long do I run a car engine to charge the battery %26quot;make up%26quot; for the car starting?It depends on the state of the battery, if the battery is dying then no amount of charging will bring it up to full charging stateHow long do I run a car engine to charge the battery %26quot;make up%26quot; for the car starting?I would say 10-15 minutes would be sufficient to recharge to original state.How long do I run a car engine to charge the battery %26quot;make up%26quot; for the car starting?I've got an 88 Ford F250, which has an amperage gauge. When I increase the idle, the needle shows the battery is fully charge after 1 minute . Course, I'm assuming the (analog) amperage gauge is accurate. Most cars are equipped with a 70-amp alternator. Providing the charging system is fully functioning, a minute to one and a half at medium-high idle should be long enough to fully charge the battery.How long do I run a car engine to charge the battery %26quot;make up%26quot; for the car starting?%26quot;Different%26quot; OK, Assuming (Not Really Good Assuming But!) the Battery, Alternator are good, Engine is running Properly! 1 to 3 minutes of Driving. %26quot;If the Starter is Good, Tune-up is Good, Engine Starts quickly, The Draw is almost Nothing and the 'Replenish Time' is Really of no Consequence.



Alternator is Meant to Replenish and Maintain a Battery! Not Recharge it if it's Dead!