Monday, September 19, 2011

How to determine energy capacity of a Battery?

What I'm most interested in is how to determine the energy capacity of a battery in Joules? Is it possible to covert this from the amp-hours rating? Thanks.How to determine energy capacity of a Battery?Energy = integral of (V* I) dt, V = volts and I = amps , t = seconds.



If a 1.5 volt battery provided 0.1 amp minutes

the energy would be 1.5 * .1* 60 seconds = 9 joules



Since the battery voltage and current varies with time and as power is drained from the battery the exact voltage and current must be integrated over time. This can be made easier with a one ohm resistor that has a sufficient power rating to not change on the current draw. Then I = V/1.How to determine energy capacity of a Battery?Possibly. I wouldn't know how to do that though.