Friday, June 3, 2011

Could i power my amp off a separate battery not connected to my Alternator? How long will it last?

I have a Kicker 2500.1 Amp and it drains my battery so I was wondering if I just buy a separate battery and run my amp off that till it dies and then use a trickle charger to charge it back up if that would work. How long would the average battery last off an amp this big? In the long run i just dont want to have to upgrade my alternator and parallel a second battery.Could i power my amp off a separate battery not connected to my Alternator? How long will it last?how long you get depends on the rating of the battery. how many amp hours it has, and how much current your amp will draw from it. But that would be a hassle I think.



You really need a larger alternator, or an extra alternator.

Just leave it hooked up to your main battery and don't run your system with the engine off. every now and then turn your music down and give your alternator a chance to charge your battery back up. and maybe consider getting a deep cycle battery also.



But there's only so much you can do with an alternator thats overloaded.Could i power my amp off a separate battery not connected to my Alternator? How long will it last?15 minutes if your lucky. it would be better to just upgrade alt and be done with it